Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What a day

It is only 4 and it has been quite the day. To begin our day, I took Joe to work in the morning. I got home and fed Joseph breakfast so we could get to preschool. I started to load the boys in the car. First, I opened Joseph's door to have him climb in. I left it open and ran inside to get Samuel from his high chair. He was going to be fed when we got to preschool. When I walked back in the garage, Joseph was in the front seat playing (passenger side). I opened Samuel's side and asked Joseph to get to his seat. My hands were full with Samuel, so I hurriedly placed the comb and keys on the front passenger side door. Joseph climbed into his seat and I got Samuel buckled and closed his door. I went to Joseph's side and buckled him in. I checked my pockets for my phone and keys and remembered I had placed the keys on the passenger side seat and could see them. I closed Joseph's door and went to open mine. It was locked, as were all the other doors. My boys were locked in the car, buckled safe and snug in their seats. Samuel was hungry and Joseph has a different seat, so he couldn't reach and unlock the door. Great...now what to do. I called Joe. Conversation:

Me: "Sweetie, the boys are locked in the car with the keys."
Joe (repeating): "You locked the boys in the car with the keys."Sounds of his coworkers repeating what he had said and laughing.
Me: "Joseph had been playing in the front seat and locked the doors while I was buckling Samuel in, and... (you know the rest). What should I do?"
Joe (laughing and asking his coworkers what I should do): "Call the police. They will unlock it for free."
Me: "Can you get me their number?"

Joe gives me the number and I called the police and they had me repeat what happened. They told me they would send an officer. While I was waiting for the police officer, I played peek-a-boo with Samuel to keep him entertained. He was hungry and strapped in and not happy. He didn't cry much. When the officer arrived, he began the process of trying to unlcok the door. Meanwhile, I see Joseph mouthing something, but can't hear him. His new favorite question to ask everyone is, "What is your name?" That is what he wanted me to ask the officer.

So here is Officer Austin working on getting our door unlocked. He was nice and told me that another police officer had locked his keys in the car with it running, so I wasn't his first call of the day.
Samuel looking at me trying to figure out what is happening. Joseph is in the flash spot. The police officer got me in and we headed to preschool. It was fun and I was stressing about my interview that was going to happen at 2 p.m. I don't own hose or pants other than jeans that fit me, so I ran to Target with the boys and then picked up Joe for work. Grandpa came to babysit and I left for my first of 3 interviews this week. I made sure I fed Samuel and then left.
The interview went well. We'll see what happens.
I rushed to the bank to pay for our car and then ran to the library to pick up a book that we had on hold. I got home and found Grandpa trying to entertain a tired Samuel. Joseph wanted some "Mexican bread" (pan dulce). I walked Grandpa to the door and turned around. There was something weird about what I saw...there was a huge patch of spots on the wall behind the fake tree.
Joseph apologized and I had him try to clean it. I had him sit in a chair while I fed Samuel. I was angry, but didn't know what to do. He is only 4 and he was probably thinking that it would look nice.
Here is his artistic contribution to our wall.

These are the little ghosts that Joseph had stamped all over the corner. I am waiting for Joe to come home because he is so much better at knowing how to talk to Joseph.

No comments: