Monday, November 17, 2008

The long walk

Last week I was super sore, and Thursday was a day that I just wanted to sit in my office. Of course, it was the day I needed to walk the most. I walked to the new library for a seminar. I had a hard time staying awake. I got back to my office and sat down, happy to be off my feet for a few minutes.

A man brought an elderly couple to my office and asked if I knew where they needed to be. I said that I could try and help them, so the man left them. The woman was upset because they were late to a photo shoot. After a few phone calls, I found where they needed to be. I asked their names and they told me they were Bill and Margaret Pope. They were being recognized for their generous contributions to the university. The event takes place on December 5th, but they were taking pictures now. I thought the name Pope sounded familiar, after all, my office is in the Pope Science building. They needed help finding where they needed to go, so I walked with them through a maze of hallways to the opposite end of campus (I think it took us 20 minutes to get there). On my walk, I realized that they are the Popes who contributed to get the building I work in built. There is a huge portrait of Bill Pope across the atrium from where I work on the wall. I decided to help walk them where they needed to go because I couldn't very easily explain the way to the building. Luckily, they arrived safely and the person that greeted them said they would drive them back to their car. Thank goodness because I felt bad they had to walk so far in the first place. I was just happy that I could help.

No comments: