Thursday, April 30, 2009

More in depth on Texas...

I finally have a moment to blog about my trip to Texas. Above is a picture of Samuel grabbing his foot and sitting up. He can sit up on his own for a few seconds at a time. He likes to grab his feet and he examines his hands all the time. He also pulls objects towards him so he can investigate them. The other day I had taken his pants to his ankles for a diaper change. I put on a clean diaper and went to wash my hands. I hadn't picked up his pants. By the time I got back, he had taken his pants off and was looking at them. He is so cute!
I will be writing the block in backwards order, only because I should have gone from the most recent pics and worked my way towards the older pics. This picture is in Utah on our drive back. It looked like a painting to me, so I snapped a shot as we drove by. This is fairly close to Price, Utah.
Our last night in Texas, April 20th, we drove to Corpus Christi to say goodbye to my grandma. We drove 3 and a half hours to get there, only to find out that my Tia Juana had picked her up and taken her to San Antonio and Austin. Tia Juana knew we were on our way, but they didn't wait. I was irked because that added 5 hours to our trip. It also would have been nice to see my Tia Juana because I haven't seen her in years. This is Joseph with my cousin Loretta's little boy, Dylan. He is 5. He and Joseph had a great time play fighting and punching. I think this makes him a second cousin to Joseph and my first cousin once removed??? Anyways.
This is me and my cousin Maria. We grew up together. We are almost a year apart in age. She would spend many a summer with me at our home. We would pick her up and bring her back. She is engaged to Abraham. I don't know when they will get married, but maybe I can attend her wedding. :)
I hardly have any pics of me and Samuel, so while we were at my Tio Oscar's house, I had Maria snap a photo of me and my little boy. He is so precious.
Grandma Nunez sitting on the steps of my Tio's house. This was where my Grandma Juarez lived before when I was little. I thought this was a very nice picture of my boys with their grandma.
This is Joseph with his Great Tio Homero. Tio Homero gave him the Houston Rockets cap as a gift. Joseph loved wearing the hat.
This is me with my cousins Leslie and Amanda. Leslie (in the middle), is a grandma. She is 34. Wow. She has 2 grandkids (she became a grandma at 31). She and I were really close growing up. Leslie is my Tio Ramiro's daughter. Amanda was a lot younger than I was. I only remember her as a little girl about Joseph's age. She is my Tio Esteban's daughter. I was thinking about us now. We are our parents in the sense that we are where they were at when we were Joseph's age. It is crazy how generations grow and up and new ones are born.
This is me and boys with their great-great Tias Nena and Tome. These are my grandma's 2 living sisters. We were so happy that they made it to the funeral. They are the bickering sisters. Tia Tome's son, Jimmy, brought them from Kingsville, Texas to be with us. It was really nice to see them. My Tia Tome looks a lot like my grandma. I also remember her being a lot taller when I was younger. It was amazing how different things looked coming from my adult perspective versus my childhood/adolescent perspective. Everything and everyone seemed so much smaller than I remember them.
This is the funeral procession. I need to get pics of us at the grave from my Tia Sylvia. Her niece, Erica, took a nice picture of me, Samuel and Joseph. I missed them putting my grandma's coffin in the grave because we got there and Joseph said he needed to go to the bathroom. The closest bathroom was the funeral home, so one of the workers drove us there. She is distantly related to John Taylor. My brother Esteban and I sang as we said our final goodbyes to my grandma. They gave all of us rose petals to toss into the grave. Joseph thought they were giving us candy, so he bit into the petal. He said, gross and tossed it onto the coffin. Erica's picture is of us tossing the petals into the grave.
These are my godparents, Oscar and Brushy. When I was a baby, I was baptized into the Catholic church. They have always been there at big occassions. They told me that their son, Oscar Lee, was having their first grandchild soon. He is going to name the little boy Joaquin Maximillian. The name reminded me of Gladiator.
Joseph absolutely loved my cousin Matthew's little girl, Kourtney. He wanted to play with her. He still asks and talks about her. He wants Kourtney to come visit him in Utah. :)
This is my Tia Gloria and my cousin Laura. We used to go their house when I was little. I used to love it because they had so many dress up clothes. This was the first time I had seen Tia Gloria and Laura since I was probably 7 or 8. Tia Gloria still looks the same.
My Tio Homero thought Joseph looks like Spanky from the Little Rascals, especially with his hat turned to the side. I couldn't get him to stop smiling for the camera.
Joseph totally reminds me of Joe as a kid in this picture.
This is a picture of Samuel's reaction to touching the Gulf of Mexico for the first time. He wasn't to happy.
This is the before picture of him touching the water.
Jospeh was having so much fun wading in the water and playing in the sand, that he didn't mind that his pants had sagged off his little bottom. The beach was a lot nicer and cleaner than I remember it being. The water is still as brown as I remember it.
Joseph playing in the sand.
The beach was a lot closer than I remember it being as a little girl. I thought it took forever to get there. In reality, it was only about 4 miles from the exit we would take. Everything shrunk (except the distance to Corpus and Utah). Well, by the time we got there, Samuel was hungry. This is him sucking on my arm after I took him out of the carseat. He was sucking on anything that came close to his mouth. I love that he sucks on his hands when he is hungry.
"Uncle Derek (my cousin Eric)," Kourtney, Tio Homero and my cousin Matthew with Joseph. This was on Easter Sunday.
My Tia Sylvia made Joseph an Easter basket from the Easter Bunny. He can't read this yet, so he won't know that it was from her till much later in the future. Thanks Tia! She did this without us knowing about it. It is greatly appreciated because I was stressed about what I would do for him for Easter.
Kourtney and my Tia Sylvia. I got to know my Tia and Tio a lot more on this trip. It was really nice to stay with them and spend time with them.
Tio Homero with Easter Bunny ears. This is a great picture of what grandkids can do to a grandparent. :)
My Tio Robert, my Tio Ramiro, and my dad. Most of the brother's together for the first time in years. My cute Samuel is in the pic too.
My brothers and me together with Joseph. This is the first time all of us siblings have been together at one time in over 3 years. Crazy how time separates families, but events bring us together, even if they are sad ones.
My dad with my cousin Amanda. My Tio Esteban's funeral was the last one that I had attended. It was in March of 1999. Time flies by.
Joseph with his cousin Jasmine. She looks exactly like my cousin Leslie looked when she was a little girl. Jasmine is my cousin J.J.'s little girl. Joseph loved her so much and looked for her everywhere. She sat with us at the luncheon the church members provided for the family after the funeral. It was great how the members served our family. Bishop Markham did a wonderful job of getting help and making sure we were okay.
Can you tell my parents were tired from the long drive to Texas?
My Tio Ramiro with Samuel. He is a great grandpa 2 times over. That is crazy to me. My cousin Leslie's oldest daughter, Savannah, has 2 kids. I only remember Savannah as a toddler. She is 18 and has a 3 year old and 1 year old.
Our first day in Texas, I took Joseph to the park I played at as a kid. They had a huge Easter egg hunt. They gave Joseph a "Don't Mess with Texas" bag to put his eggs in. The eggs didn't have candy but lots of little goodies. He also found a baseball since the 3 and 4 year old hunt was held on a baseball diamond.
We spent 30 minutes in Corpus on the night we got there. From the left is my Grandma Juarez, my cousin Maria, me and my boys, and my cousin Loretta. My cousin Loretta had her second baby in March, a couple of months after I had Samuel.
My Tio Felix, my cousin Johnny Joe, my cousin Jesus, my cousin Sofia, me, my cousin Crystal, my cousin Maria, baby Roger (another cousin) and my brother Esteban. What can I say...we come from a LARGE family (ha, ha, ha). ;) I hadn't seen my cousin Crystal since she was a little girl. I called her Spikey because that was her nickname back then. When she was a baby, her hair stood straight up. I hadn't seen my cousin Sofia or Johnny Joe in ages. My cousin Jesus looks like my Tio Blas.
I grew up with baby Roger. He lived the closest to my family. My mom is raising his nieces and nephew, my cousin April's kids. It was so much fun to see everyone. They all got together to say hi, knowing that we would only be there for 30 minutes. I am glad I didn't miss the opportunity to be with them, even if it was only for a moment.
Joseph on the car ride. He did so well. Here is entertaining himself with a spider that he lost in Texas somewhere.
Samuel was amazing on the car ride too. Here he is with his little blanket.

Joseph and Samuel together before we left. My boys are adorable and I love them soooooo much. :D

1 comment:

Vatonurse said...

Great pics of the family.