Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Wherein I broke his heart...

I don't enjoy washing dishes, but I know I need to get them done.  Of course, Samuel has a built in radar that lets him know if I am out of sight, I am probably in the kitchen cleaning, so he hones in and wants to help.  He LOVES to wash dishes.  Washing dishes is a longer process with my little one, so sometimes I try to get it done when he is asleep or otherwise occupied.  Yesterday I put off washing dishes until I knew Joseph would be home so they could play together and I could get it done quickly.  Samuel suggested during the day that we needed to do it before Joseph got home because, "Joseph will say, "I want to help mommy," and I don't want him to help."  Well, I was feeling the same way.  So my sneaky ploy worked and I washed everything.  

At family home evening, it was late and we told the boys it was bed time after the snack.  Samuel said, "But we need to wash dishes."  I cringed inside because I knew he wanted to help, but I had done it on my own.  I told him that I had done them.  The look on his face broke my heart.  I felt so awful that I had done them without him.  He looked at me with hurt in his eyes and asked, "you already did them?"  I said yes and that we would have more to wash tomorrow and he could help me.  Damage done.  I think I broke his little heart.  :(  I had to distract him quickly so he wouldn't cry.  

No comments: