Monday, December 17, 2012

In memory of the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy

Friday started off as many other days do.  I woke up in the morning and got my boys fed and Joseph ready for school.  My Joseph who is 7 and such a wonderful, sensitive, thoughtful and creative boy.  We walked to the bus stop and Samuel and I gave him hugs and kisses before he got on.  I cleaned a little and got busy working around the house.  Around 11 in the morning, I jumped on the internet, checked my email and then went to MSN.  Their breaking report was about a school in Connecticut that had a gunman break in and shoot children and adults alike.  I was horrified.  I know that it could have happened anywhere, but I cried for everyone who sent their child to school that day, as I sent my Joseph to school, only to lose them because of one person's inability to see past himself.  I do feel bad for the shooter because he must have been a lost soul, but I truly feel the pain of the parents.  I am not a poet laureate, but I wrote a small poem in memory of all the people impacted by the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting:


The silent footsteps tread across our grieving hearts,
The echoes of now silent laughter, tear our souls apart,
Arms yearn for more embraces, tears slide down crying eyes,
The hopes they said “I love you,” before their child died.
Memories of their smiles, the funny things they did,
Of assuring that the monsters did not live under their bed.
But a monster came to them, donned with a human mask,
A sad and tragic figure that ravaged any in his path.
 Now, there are no more tomorrows for the hearts so young and pure,
There are only empty todays for those left behind on the Earth,
On Friday, lots of children met the Maker of all mankind,
He met them, hugged them, soothed them, and promised life divine,
He also hugged the women that served His little ones,
And told them, “Well done my good and faithful, from your duty you did not shun.”
His comfort He will give us as our faith acts as our guide,
We love and pray and mourn with them and seek solace by their sides.


Will I tell Joseph about what happened?  If he hears about it I will.  I don't want him to be scared of going to school and I want to try to help him maintain his innocence for as long as I can.  

No comments: