Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 5 (continued), Day 6 and into Day 7: the drive home

After the going to the sun road, we went back to the cabin so Joe could nap. I took the boys to the playground and then we went for a swim. We wanted to hike the trail of the cedars, as it is one of the most popular paths to take.

Joseph found himself a little home in one of the tree bases.

Mommy with her boys. The trees were tall. Maybe not as tall as the sequoias in California, but tall nonetheless.

A cascading fall along the trail.

Just to get an idea of how large the trees were. Joseph ran ahead of us to pose for this shot.

We drove a different road for a bit to see wildlife. This stag tried to hide from us, but we caught him on camera! After our drive, we went to the Rawhide restaurant for some BBQ. Samuel was in a mood, so I had to carry him. Luckily it was late, so there were only 2 families (including us) at the restaurant. Samuel had a horrible night of sleep. I slept in the car with him and he screamed for over half an hour. I felt bad for anyone around us who could hear him. The next morning, Joe and Joseph slept in and I tried to keep Samuel entertained for a bit. We finally packed our car and went on one more drive. Joe wanted to go to one of the meadows we had seen to see if he could find any more animals. The night before, we had seen deer there.

Joe heard some rustling and a lot of chattering. He found a family of pine martens that lived near where he was standing. Joe tried to snap a picture, but the sound of the flash scared them. He waited patiently and was able to snap this shot. It is the head of one of the pine martens. A deer also scampered across close to where Joe was.

This deer posed for us. It was eating by the side of the road. I am just glad it didn't jump in front. :)

We decided that we wanted to go to Many Glacier before we headed back to Utah. It would be a long drive, but we figured we wouldn't be back to Glacier National Park for a long time. We ate at Eddie's Cafe. I snapped a photo especially for my brother Edward.

AFter a 3 hour drive to get to Many Glacier, we were able to snap some lovely shots. This meadow had a coyote lazing around. It is in the picture, but because it was far off and we don't have a super zoom lens, this is the best we could do. It was there though. We were 15 miles from the Canadian border, but without passports, we decided not to cross. They probably wouldn't have let me back in the country. We started the LOOOOOOOOOONG drive home.

A scenic overlook? I don't think it was so pretty, but I needed to change Samuel's diaper. Joe snapped some shots while I did. This is the road I told him to take to intersect with I-15. Had I looked a little closer, we could have shaved off an extra half hour or more going down a different road. As if we weren't already on the road long enough. The exits weren't marked well, so we ended up going north on I-15 and having to flip around. Add more time to the trip home.

We stopped for gas in Helena. Joseph saw the large dinosaur and had to pet it. Joe said he was ridiculously happy as he touched the dinosaur and had the largest smile on his face. What a cutie!! We drove till we were almost out of Montana and decided that we needed to sleep a little. We pulled over at a rest stop and hadn't been asleep for more than 30 minutes when Samuel started to cry. We buckled up and drove into Idaho. It was well past 2 in the morning when Joe and I decided that we needed to stop again. I was having trouble staying awake to keep Joe company. I made sure to put a hoodie over Samuel so hopefully he wouldn't get cold and wake up again. We slept for a little over 3 hours and started to drive back to Utah again.

Samuel's hair looked like Flock of Seagulls hair when he woke up. He slept till about 7 in the morning. Yay!

This is what we found when we got home at 8:30 in the morning. My dad has been working on the plumbing and was trying to finish it. It was a mess in the hall and in the bathroom. All in all, quite the surprise to come home to. I got the boys ready for church and sent them with my parents. Joe and I crashed for about 8 hours. It was a fun trip and I am glad that we went.

1 comment:

Brittney said...

I'm glad you guys made it back okay and had a great trip! We were up at the Tetons and Yellowstone last week and I thought of you guys. We probably just missed you. It sure was pretty up there! I miss all the trees and random animal sightings. :) Glacier Park really looks amazing!! That's great that you were able to go that far.