Tuesday, January 27, 2009

One week old

Samuel is one week old today! He is sleeping lots and eating lots. I swear he must have a tooth in his little mouth. I will investigate later. Overall, being a parent twice over is interesting. Joseph wants someone to play with him all the time and gets sad when he doesn't have someone that can. Samuel may sleep a lot, but he is up often enough to disrupt play time. Joseph has been an angel overall. He has let me sleep in and lets the baby sleep too. He will bring toys into our room and play on the floor till I wake up. He has come into the room to sleep with Samuel and me. One night he came in at 3:30 a.m. and was wanting to sleep in the bed. When Samuel woke up hungry at about 5 a.m., I left the room so as not to wake Joseph up. As I sat in his room to feed the baby, Joseph staggered out of our room and yelled down the stairs, "mommy, is the baby not letting you sleep lots?" He stayed awake till I fed Samuel. He didn't fall asleep till 7 a.m. Joseph has done that a couple of nights. He is very tired. I am trying not to wake Joe and Joseph up as I care for Samuel.

Joseph likes to say his brother's name, "Samuel Goodwin." He also says, "Rankin baby." I point out that he is a Rankin too and he says, "No, I just Joseph." We have been playing since I have been home. He can count to 9 and recognizes the numbers. We need to practice the alphabet more. He still recognizes some of the letters. He has "read" books to Samuel as I feed him. He remembers the stories from his books very clearly.

Having Samuel reminds me of a lot of things that I had forgotten with Joseph. It brings back lots of memories. I love the inching that Samuel does to get into the feeding position. I will put him up at my shoulder to burp him and if he is hungry, he picks up his little neck and uses his arms and mainly his head to propel him towards the food. Joseph used to do the same thing. He looks like Joseph in so many ways.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love the picture. He is SO precious. I really wish I could meet him while he is still small. I love the stories about Joseph...especially him yelling down the stairs about the baby not letting you sleep :)

Life with two kids sounds busy! I bet you are excited for Mom Rankin to come and help you out with the babies.