Thursday, December 2, 2010

Samuel's first ear infection

So on Tuesday night Samuel woke up crying. He was burning up. We gave him some medicine and I ended up sleeping with him on the couch. Periodically through the night, I gave him medicine. At one point it seemed his temperature reached almost 104. He was toasty and fussy. It seemed that the medicine helped and he would get hyper and play for a bit and then fall asleep. With the medication he seemed fine. I put him down for a nap around 3:30 in the afternoon and took Joseph to a birthday party around 4:15. My friend noticed that Samuel looked super flushed and she said that he wasn't responsive. I got a call from Joe about 5 minutes after we had arrived at the party. I left immediately, asking Joseph's friends to bring him home. From what my friend Celia described, it sounded like Samuel had a febrile seizure. I spoke to a nurse on my drive home and then conferred with them after. They wanted me to bring him in. Last night at 8:30 we went to the after hours peditrician. He said he was surprised that we hadn't had symptoms prior to late Tuesday night because Samuel had a nasty ear infection, with puss, in his left ear and his right ear was also really red. I had debated taking him in because he didn't give me any indication that he had an ear infection. Poor kiddo. He is napping right now.

No comments: