Monday, January 10, 2011

Back in Utah

I have a lot to catch up on. Last week we flew home to Utah. Not that we really have a place to call our own yet, but we are trying to get back into a routine. The boys ended their trip in the same outfit they started it in. I thought it was cute and so did lots of people at the airport. After our flight back, a lady stopped us and said that I did such a great job with both boys alone on the plane. Can I tell you that I was disappointed that neither of my flights had a movie or tv. Joe's did. :P I had hoped to have some more on board entertainment. At least both flights we had our own row and the boys were pretty good. Joseph was so excited to get back to Utah because Santa left a picture of the presents he left for him in Utah. Once we boarded the plane, Joseph started to cry a lot. I asked him what happened and he said, "I don't want to leave New Jersey." It was cute. I am grateful that we were able to go.


Our boys were very excited to see the tree and presents when we got back from New Jersey. Some of Samuel's new words include: tree, stocking, Santa, and presents, plus open it. They learn young. :) At least he is saying "thank you" more often.

With Grandma Rankin on our last day in New Jersey. We got a picture of her with the boys and the collage that Joseph and I made. It turned out really nice and pictures just don't capture the thought Joseph put into the placement of the pictures.

Our last family home evening with Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Chrissy. Joseph loves family home meetings and learned a new game.

Samuel playing with homemade play-dough. That is another new word. He wanted them rolled into a ball and then he would promptly squish them and want it rerolled into a ball to do it again and again.

Joseph and Grandma baking gingerbread cookies. We couldn't eat the ones on the house because they were too hard. These turned out super yummy. Joseph's favorite shape was the bear.

So this came after the one below. Joe noticed that the gingerbread house had gnaw marks on all of the kisses. We then noticed that Joseph had chocolate all around his mouth. You can guess the rest. Samuel enjoyed sucking on the candy. Joseph gnawed off more chocolate.

Notice all the little teeth marks. It was funny to find it this way.

Joe wanted me to include this picture. It is a face that Samuel gives Joe when he is about to do something he knows he shouldn't do.

Joe giving me a look as he is browsing through photo albums with his parents and the boys. I wonder where my boys get it? ;)

Samuel on top fo the table during a game of Mormon bridge. It is a fun game that we played with rook cards. Grandma Rankin is hooked on this game. Joe liked it too. We played it often. Samuel liked to help me by pounding his little fist with the number of bids he thought I should win.

Grandma, Chrissy and the boys watching Home Alone 2 in Cranberry, Pennsylvania. We went to visit Great Grandpa Rankin. He was in the hospital so we only saw him once briefly. I don't think he will remember that we were there to see him. We love him lots.

While we were in Jersey, a big snow storm came through. It snowed and left about 2 feet. They declared a state of emergency and closed the roads. We were eating dinner at Michael's house (Amy's boyfriend) and left right before the roads closed. On a sidenote, the dinner was amazing. Thanks to Michael's family. They are super nice and really good cooks. :)

Joseph with one of his presents on Christmas morning. The dragon and characters were from Grandma and Grandpa Rankin. The smile on his face was huge when he saw them. Samuel got some play food and a sandwich game. They both got pajamas which the boys enjoy.

Joe with some of his gifts. Joe's parents gave us the starting of a 72 hour kit. It is nice to have some stuff...now I just have to put packs together for all of us.

Samuel in front of the tree on Christmas morning. When I came out, he was saying, "presents, presents, open it."

Samuel helping Grandma bake. He was playing with the flour and repeating, "cooking, cooking." He likes to "help."

Here is a picture of the collage Joseph and I made. You will see that there is a little boy kneeling and looking at baby Jesus. There is a wreath around Mary and baby Jesus on another part. You can see wise men following the star to Jesus. The star is actually a snowflake that Joseph liked and said could be a star. You will notice Santa coming out of the temple plus lots more. Joseph "decorated" one of the trees on the collage. It has red ornaments. The word joy is in gold and Joseph said it was because of the song we sing at church (and he would sing it as he said it) "Joy to the world, the Lord is come."

Aunt Chrissy and Joseph with the completed gingerbread house before Joseph gnawed on it. They added the kisses.

Amy helped Joseph with the house before the kisses were added. Here is a before picture of it.

Ernest and Lydia with my niece and nephew. It was a lot of fun spending time with them. Joseph and Samuel enjoyed meeting their cousins for the first time.

These pictures are not really in order. This is a picture at a rest stop in PA. Ernest was meeting Joe's dad to give us back after our visit. :) Samuel and Joseph loved climbing the hill. Getting down was tricky, but they did it.

The cousins watching a cartoon together and snacking on popcorn. What cute kids!

Joseph, Samuel, Elena and Brandon helping Uncle Ernest collapse the bed in the morning. They were having a lot of fun as it rocked them back and forth, hence the reason it needed to be deflated.

Joseph walking with Elena to the house on our first day there. I thought it was cute that she was letting him help her even though they had met not more than 2 hours before for the first time. Brandon is right behind them.

Grandma Rankin and Samuel. He enjoyed playing the piano and would find a reason to sit there. He would actually pat the bench next to him, look at me and say, "sit down, sit down." He is really wordy these days.

I have lots more pictures, but they are on Grandma Rankin's laptop in New Jersey. I need to get copies of them. I should have brought extra memory. As for some of the gifts I recieved...I finally got a Canon Rebel!!!! Yay!!! I have been wanting one for years. Now I have to learn how to use it. I also got a nook with some books. I read North and South, the Lost Hero and started Vanity Fair. It was a great Christmas.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Fun stories and pictures!

Brittney said...

I'm glad you guys had a fun time and made it back okay! You're going to love the camera, even just using the auto settings. :) And I'm jealous about the nook! That's awesome!